Tuesday, January 22, 2013

THE READERS WRITE

Most of the comments from readers come in the mail not in the Comment section of the blob. I enjoy reading these because they tell me if I have succeeded in my writing. What is success? Clarity, brevity, and warmth are what I like in aiming to please. This past week, Kathy asked if I wrote the poem first. Why yes, I did. Poems are usually the inspiration for prose for me. Marcia (pronounced mar-see-ah), who knew me when we were twelve, marveled that she hadn't heard about my living in Jerusalem only a few years previous to our meeting.  As I have said, I was a quiet child; I preferred to be mysterious rather than to tell anyone anything about myself. Stephanie was curious about the Jewish family. Harriet's note was short and appreciative with decorative flowers and hearts attached. Caroline wanted to know how I pick my topics and was there any particular, consistent catalyst for my postings.


Each case is different. This time it was coming across a name which brought a rush of memories. What prompted the Lizette post is that I was intrigued by a writer, not the writer of the book, the character. In The Nobodies Album the main character is a writer, Octavia Frost. The whole book is basically her description of how a writer would react to the events in her life. Commentary within commentary. I was reminded of Chinese nesting tables or Matryoshka dolls. So what I decided to do was write a poem (the underlying foundation) and then add  details in prose (the colorization).  What was important to me then and now is that Sister Marie Mignonette be painted as the person I wanted to be. Whimsical, persevering, imaginative. Your comments have shown me I succeeded in illustrating my message and I thank you. 

Gratitude spoken or unspoken
can never be underestimated.
It is the spark illuminating
the night when the pen rises to the occasion
and contact is made.     

 

3 comments:

  1. Your prose is always so beautifully written and proof positive was the way that you ended this post. "Gratitude spoken or unspoken
    can never be underestimated.
    It is the spark illuminating
    the night when the pen rises to the occasion
    and contact is made." I've never heard it phrased better than this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best luck when pen rises to occasion........ Bonne chance!

    Roberto

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to comment by email, also, but at some point decided that it would be best to do so on the site, for all to see, rather than hide it under a barrel. i will continue that practice, unless you would prefer me not to. c wil

    ReplyDelete